Metabolic Syndrome is the Biggest Health Crisis this world has faced and it is ‘Hiding in Plain Sight’. It is misunderstood, ignored or unknown by almost everyone, yet it is sweeping the globe in pandemic proportions and costing every country, government, employer and tax payer collectively trillions of dollars annually. It touches nearly every culture, family, age and income group. It has invaded our homes, schools and workplaces.
Metabolic Syndrome is one of the hidden or unexplained reasons we often see what we would classify as a “healthy” individual having a heart attack or experiencing unexplained sudden death. We often look at these situations believing there was no apparent reason for it to occur.
Metabolic Syndrome is diagnosed when a combination of three (or more) of the following health risks are experienced together:
- high blood pressure
- high blood sugar levels
- insulin resistance
- excess body weight
- increased waist circumference
- low levels of “good” cholesterol (HDL)
- high levels of triglycerides (a type of fat found in the blood)
- hormonal imbalances
The risks increase dramatically as the number of symptoms present at the same time increase for developing type 2 diabetes, heart disease, strokes, many cancers, premature death and today some experts believe Alzheimer’s.
Other major risk factors that may lead to the development of metabolic syndrome include:
- age (the risk increases as we get older)
- a family history of health concerns, like diabetes and cardiovascular
- disease including high blood pressure.
The Symptom Solution
Traditionally, to address these health symptoms we would use targeted pharmaceutical drugs and/or supplementation. While either choice may reduce or possibly delay the outcomes and alleviate symptoms, it does not reverse the underlying cause, which is our internal metabolic health, or address the reality that this Disease Process is almost entirely Preventable.
- As Canadians we are failing terribly at combatting this condition. It is time as citizens we educate ourselves and take responsibility, becoming accountable for our own health and the health of our families. The days of denial of our responsibility to our own health need to be over. If we don’t change and take control of this, “within the next 8 years more than 10 million Canadian adults, (not including children) will live with ‘obesity’ which is when their BMI (Body Mass Index) exceeds 40%, costing Canadians in excess of 33.7 billion dollars annually.” (Global News Oct. 10, 2017)
- “It is clear that governments need to act now to reduce this burden on their national economies.” ~ Ian Caterson President WOF (Global News Oct. 10, 2017 ~
This is Not the Answer!
No government can afford or should be involved financially in what is primarily a Lifestyle Problem which is solved with a Lifestyle Solution. The Answer is in our hands and we need to act on it.
The Real Solution is Intervention and Prevention
- Our Metabolic Health relies on appropriate physical activity, proper nutrition, balanced blood chemistry, stress and mindset management. Diets don’t work. Many of us have tried every diet on the market and we fail to reach the root cause.
- The truth is there is not a single ‘sliver bullet’ answer nor a short cut. There is a Lifestyle Solution where we combine Science, Behavioural and Mindset Changes with Nutrition which is Supported Daily through exclusive private groups to coach individuals and insure their success. With this kind of program individual success reaches over 90%. More than 69% of individuals continue in a “graduate group setting’ maintaining their results and enjoying a community focused on health and wellbeing.